O P E R A T I N G I N S T R U C T I O N S
Back Track GPS
Item no. 84 25 46
The Back Track GPS serves as a digital compass and can be used to save waypoints via GPS.
The device leads back the user to previously stored waypoints by showing him/her the direction
and distance to the waypoint.
This product is not suitable for commercial/industrial use.
The safety instructions must be observed at all times!
The device is waterproof and is thus suitable for outdoor use.
Power for the Back Track GPS should be supplied by batteries or rechargeable batteries only.
Any use other than that described above could lead to damage to this product and involves
the risk of short circuits, ﬁ re, electric shock, etc. No part of the product may be modiﬁ ed or
This product complies with the applicable national and European requirements. All names of
companies and products are the trademarks of the respective owners. All rights reserved.
• Back Track GPS
• Carrying bag
• Operating instructions
• Five storable waypoints
• Indication of distance and direction to the stored waypoint
• Waypoints may be set by directly entering known coordinates or by saving the current coor-
• Water-protected housing for outdoor use
• Back light for the display
Explanation of Symbols, Inscriptions
This symbol indicates speciﬁ c risks associated with handling, function and use.
The "Hand" symbol indicates special tips and operating information.
First, read the complete operating manual carefully, as it contains important
information about the proper operation.
The warranty will be void in the event of damage caused by failure to observe
these safety instructions! We do not assume any liability for any resulting
We shall not accept liability for damage to property or personal injury caused
by incorrect handling or non-compliance with the safety instructions! The
warranty will be void in such cases!
• For safety reasons, any unauthorised conversion and/or modiﬁ cation to the
product is not permitted.
• The product is not a toy and should be kept out of the reach of children!
• The product must not be exposed to extreme temperatures, strong vibrations or
heavy mechanical stress.
• Handle the product with care. The product can be damaged if crushed, struck or
dropped, even from a low height.
• Condensation may form when the product is brought from a cold room into a warm
one. Therefore, wait until it has reached room temperature before using it.
• Do not leave packaging material lying around carelessly. It may become a danger-
ous plaything for children.
• The manufacturer does not accept any liability for incorrect or inaccurate readings
or any consequences resulting from such readings.
• If you have any questions that are not answered in this manual, please contact our
technical service or another specialist.
Controls and Parts
(1) PAGE key
(2) Battery state indicator
(3) UNIT key
(4) Coordinate display
(5) Direction indicator
(6) Compass/distance indicator
(7) On/Off button
(8) Satellite symbol
(9) MARK key
(10) Waypoint symbols
Inserting/changing the batteries/rechargeable batteries
• Loosen the screw on the back of the device and remove the battery compartment lid..
• Insert two AAA/micro batteries/rechargeable batteries observing the correct polarity. The cor-
rect polarity is indicated in the battery compartment.
• Close the battery compartment again.
• You should change the batteries, when the battery state indicator (2) shows an empty battery
• Press the button "On/Off" (7) in order to switch on the display.
• The satellite symbol (8) is blinking, until the device has received the GPS data.
• After switching the device on for the ﬁ rst time, the device is in compass-mode.
• Press the PAGE key (1), in order to switch between compass-mode
• Press the On/Off (7) button brieﬂ y to switch on the display light. The display light is switched
off automatically after a few seconds, however, it is also possible to switch it off manually by
pressing the On/Off button (7) again.
• If the device does not detect movement for a certain amount of time, the device is switched
off automatically in order to save energy.
• In order to switch off the device manually, press the On/Off key (7) until the display light
• Batteries/rechargeable batteries must be kept out of the reach of children.
• Do not leave batteries/rechargeable batteries lying around; there is a risk that they
could be swallowed by children or pets. If they are swallowed, consult a doctor
• Leaking or damaged normal/rechargeable batteries in contact with the skin can
cause acid burns; therefore, use suitable safety gloves.
• Normal/rechargeable batteries must not be short-circuited, opened or thrown into
a ﬁ re. There is a risk of explosion!
• Do not recharge normal, non-rechargeable batteries, there is a risk of explosion!
Only charge rechargeable batteries that are intended for this purpose; use a suit-
able battery charger.
• Check that the polarity is correct when inserting the batteries/rechargeable batter-
ies (pay attention to plus and minus).
Rechargeable batteries may be used, but due to the lower voltage output (recharge-
able battery = 1.2V, standard battery = 1.5V) and the lower capacity, the service life
In order to enable correct and fast positioning, the device needs to have a good
satellite reception. For this purpose, the device needs a "clear view" to the sky.
In order to display the correct direction, the device has to be on the move. This is
because the changing of the GPS coordinates allows the identiﬁ cation of the direc-
tion of motion.
When operating the device inside of buildings or in situations in which the satellite
reception is disturbed (see "Problems with the GPS reception"), this function may be
restricted or not possible at all.
After switching on the device for the ﬁ rst time or after being switched off for a trans-
port over a great distance, the identiﬁ cation of the GPS data may take longer than
and the various