PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING
Always follow the basic precautions listed below to avoid the possibility of serious injury or even death from electrical shock, short-
circuiting, damages, ﬁre or other hazards. These precautions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Power supply/Power cord
• Only use the voltage speciﬁed as correct for the device. The required voltage is printed on
the name plate of the device.
• Use only the included power cord.
• Do not place the power cord near heat sources such as heaters or radiators, and do not
excessively bend or otherwise damage the cord, place heavy objects on it, or place it in a
position where anyone could walk on, trip over, or roll anything over it.
• Be sure to connect to an appropriate outlet with a protective grounding connection.
Improper grounding can result in electrical shock.
Do not open
• Do not open the device or attempt to disassemble the internal parts or modify them in any
way. The device contains no user-serviceable parts. If it should appear to be malfunctioning,
discontinue use immediately and have it inspected by qualiﬁed Yamaha service personnel.
Always follow the basic precautions listed below to avoid the possibility of physical injury to you or others, or damage to the device or other
property. These precautions include, but are not limited to, the following:
Power supply/Power cord
• Remove the electric plug from the outlet when the device is not to be used for extended
periods of time, or during electrical storms.
• When removing the electric plug from the device or an outlet, always hold the plug itself and
not the cord. Pulling by the cord can damage it.
• Before moving the device, remove all connected cables.
• When setting up the device, make sure that the AC outlet you are using is easily accessible.
If some trouble or malfunction occurs, immediately turn off the power switch and disconnect
the plug from the outlet.
• Do not use the device in a conﬁned, poorly-ventilated location. Make sure that there is
adequate space between the device and surrounding walls or other devices: at least 20cm at
the sides, 20cm behind and 20cm above. Inadequate ventilation can result in overheating,
possibly causing damage to the device(s), or even ﬁre.
• Do not expose the device to excessive dust or vibrations, or extreme cold or heat (such as in
direct sunlight, near a heater, or in a car during the day) to prevent the possibility of panel
disﬁguration or damage to the internal components.
• Do not place the device in an unstable position where it might accidentally fall over.
XLR-type connectors are wired as follows (IEC60268 standard): pin 1: ground, pin 2: hot (+), and pin 3: cold (-).
Even though this speaker system (HS50M, HS80M only) is magnetically shielded, you may need to move the speaker further away from the video monitor, if a nearby video monitor exhibits any
distortion or unnatural color shift.
Interference From Cell Phones
Using a cell phone near the speaker system can induce noise. If this occurs, move the cell phone further away from the speaker system.
Yamaha cannot be held responsible for damage caused by improper use or modiﬁcations to the device.
Always turn the power off when the device is not in use.
The performance of components with moving contacts, such as switches, volume controls, and connectors, deteriorates over time. Consult qualiﬁed Yamaha service personnel about replacing
• Illustrations in this manual are for explanatory purposes only, and may not match the actual appearance of the product during operation.
• Company names and product names used in this Owner's Manual are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.
• Speciﬁcations and descriptions in this owner's manual are for information purposes only. Yamaha Corp. reserves the right to change or modify products or speciﬁcations at any time without prior notice. Since speciﬁcations,
equipment or options may not be the same in every locale, please check with your Yamaha dealer.
* Please keep this manual in a safe place for future reference.
• Do not expose the device to rain, use it near water or in damp or wet conditions, or place
containers on it containing liquids which might spill into any openings.
• Never insert or remove an electric plug with wet hands.
If you notice any abnormality
• If the power cord or plug becomes frayed or damaged, or if there is a sudden loss of sound
during use of the device, or if any unusual smells or smoke should appear to be caused by
it, immediately turn off the power switch, disconnect the electric plug from the outlet, and
have the device inspected by qualiﬁed Yamaha service personnel.
• If this device should be dropped or damaged, immediately turn off the power switch,
disconnect the electric plug from the outlet, and have the device inspected by qualiﬁed
Yamaha service personnel.
• Before connecting the device to other devices, turn off the power for all devices. Before
turning the power on or off for all devices, set all volume levels to minimum.
• When turning on the AC power in your audio system, always turn on the device LAST, to
avoid speaker damage. When turning the power off, the device should be turned off FIRST
for the same reason.
• Do not insert your ﬁngers or hands in any gaps or openings on the device (ports, etc.).
• Avoid inserting or dropping foreign objects (paper, plastic, metal, etc.) into any gaps or
openings on the device (ports, etc.) If this happens, turn off the power immediately and
unplug the power cord from the AC outlet. Then have the device inspected by qualiﬁed
Yamaha service personnel.
• Do not use the device for a long period of time at a high or uncomfortable volume level,
since this can cause permanent hearing loss. If you experience any hearing loss or ringing
in the ears, consult a physician.
• Do not operate the device if the sound is distorting. Prolonged use in this condition could
cause overheating and result in ﬁre.
• Do not rest your weight on the device or place heavy objects on it, and avoid use excessive
force on the buttons, switches or connectors.